Monday, March 26, 2012

Ads! Ads Everywhere!


Being exposed to advertising and marketing schemes is inevitable in today’s culture.  I can’t even count how many ads I was exposed to during the past 24 hours: less than 100? more than 100?  1000?  Persuasive (and sometimes invasive) ads are everywhere.  I woke up, and like any normal college-aged female, I checked Facebook and Twitter as if they were the morning news. 
This time, I ignored the posts from friends about what they did the night before, and instead turned my attention to the ads along the side.  They’re tailored to my “likes.”  For example, I “liked” a Greek website (where one purchases sorority or fraternity letters) and, go figure, an ad along the side was for a different Greek gear site.  It offered me coupons if I clicked the link and filled out a survey. 
On Twitter, certain things are promoted.  Today, it’s Sprint promoting their new phone.  Also on Twitter, accounts with a lot of followers typically gain sponsors or advertisers that pay them to put 140-character ads.  Personally, I follow my fair share of “girly” Twitter accounts, and the typical ads that they post relate to three main things: losing weight, teeth whitening, and fashion.  Obviously, they are stereotypical girl-things, but every once in a while, some of the weight-loss ones are borderline inappropriate.  One I saw was trying to sell a diet pill that promised to make you lose 14 pounds in ten days.  Granted, I understand the dangers of that, but it does concern me how many younger girls are on Twitter and may see this and believe that this is a healthy way to lose weight.
Besides ads on the internet, there are countless ads on television.  Generally, I don’t watch much television.  But the ads reflect the shows that are on.  It’s signaling at its finest.
I also saw many print ads.  In the New York Times there are many encouraging fashion (Tiffany’s ad on page two is a staple).  Even around campus there are fliers promoting different events and sales going on within various groups.  The potty paper in the stalls?  That’s a feminist ad if you ask me.  It promotes events and gatherings that revolve around (mostly) feminist issues. 
Once I opened my eyes and realized just how many ads are put in front of them daily, it made me feel slightly concerned.  I tend to tune out a majority of them, but I know many people who buy into these biased promotions constantly.  

1 comment:

  1. Jenn -- nice work. Another concern: just the way we are all so surrounded, day after day. We might tune out the specific products, but considering the number of messages to which we are exposed every day, do you think there might be an effect on society?

    ReplyDelete